August 11, 2010

Finally! A Police Officer Around When I Needed Him

Found on Google Images

I consider myself a road warrior.  I mentioned before I am a working mom, but the real kicker is I spend close to three hours a day in the car with my BFF, her daughter (5), Crockett and Tubbs.  I am up at 5:30 every morning to get myself ready, get kids up, dressed,  fed and on the road by 7:00.  We get to work by 8:30 work til 4, workout, then pick the kids up and get home around 6:30…… day in and day out.  I would be lying if I said it isn’t completely wearing on me. 

Anyways, back to being a road warrior.  I have been doing this commute for the last 5 years and in all this time we have only been pulled over once.  The time we were pulled over, we were in our neighborhood; it is a funny story I will have to blog about that one.  Anyhow,  I have seen a lot of serious accidents on my highway commute, I have spent countless hours waiting in traffic jams, and I have called the police for things like a random mattress on the road or a cow on the wrong side of the fence.  But what never ceases to amaze me is the amount of people who have serious cases of road rage or are just plain bad drivers.  I see a lot of things where I think, “where are the cops when you need them?”

Yesterday was no exception.  I was flying solo in the car, I left work around 4 because Tubbs has to get his stitches taken out.  So I make a right turn to get on the entrance ramp to the highway.  This particular entrance ramp is an uphill climb.  When I round the corner to get on the ramp I notice there is a bit of a jam because a semi truck is up in front making the climb to get on to the highway.  It is completely obvious to me and the five cars ahead of me that we are just going to have drive 10 mph up the ramp to get on the highway.  No big deal right?  Apparently it was a big deal to guy behind me.   He could plainly see the semi, but still decided to be a d-bag and pull in to the shoulder of the ramp, go around me and then cut me off (granted we were going slowly).  Being the road warrior I am I have a lot of patience.  So I hit the brakes and let him in, thinking to myself what a d-bag.   All of a sudden, I hear WHOOP WHOOP and see some lights flashing behind me.  Startled, I look to my left, the car behind the d-bag was an unmarked police car.  He makes the d-bag pull over, looks at me and says, ma’am go ahead in front of me”, and hold the rest of the traffic up to let me go ahead of d-bag.  I couldn’t help but smile as I approached the highway.  Finally, the cops were around when I needed them! 

This incident was really minor; the d-bag didn’t have road rage, he was just got in a hurry and made a stupid choice not realizing an unmarked police car was behind him.  I mean, what was the value in getting one car ahead anyways?  Hopefully the lecture (and maybe a ticket) he received from the cop will stop him from making a lame decision like that again. 

I have no idea who the officer was, but Thank You Mr. CSPD Officer.   You made my day and you made me really proud to have a husband who would do the same thing. 

2 comments:

  1. Awesome. My friend just told me a similar story about a cop being in the right place at the right time for her. love it! I usually only say "Where are the cops when you need 'em?" when we are out and about with my husband and he is NOT in uniform so he's essentially no good at the moment too. :)

    I came over from Mrs. Fuzz's blog; I hope you accept her award and share your 10 things so we can get to know you better!

    ReplyDelete