August 6, 2010

Let the Sisterhood Begin!

My dad was a firefighter, my grandfather was a fire chief, my brother is a firefighter, and so are my brother-in-law and one of my uncles.....but I married a cop.  After growing up in a firefighter family, I thought I knew what I was getting in to.  You know, adapting to crazy schedules and hearing stories of heroic rescues, but being married to a cop is very different (not necessarily in a bad way). We are five years in to this career now; not a rookie and not a veteran, just somewhere in between.

To set our stage, I will rewind almost 6 years ago when I met my husband.  When I first laid eyes on him, I never thought I would be married to him.  He's tall, dark and handsome; the type of guy who commands attention when he walks in to a room.  I thought surely is looks are as deep as he gets, but I was wrong.  After having a conversation with him I learned he was educated, a world-class athlete, and he was in the process of applying for police departments around the country.  Aside from wanting to be a cop, this was my dream man.  I was in love and luckily so was he.  Over time, the cop thing grew on me; soon I was in full support of helping my man get on to a police department.  Thus began the whirlwind of where we are today.  To make a long story short, very short, he: was hired on to a PD, proposed to me, went through the academy, married me, went through field training, became a father, became a patrol officer, became a father for the second time, and now he is currently working on a narcotics unit.  I will fill in all the gaps as I start blogging.

My husband is my hero....our hero, life with a police officer is completely unpredictable and never boring.  When my husband started in the police academy I looked for groups and blogs for police wives and I couldn't find much that was active; shame on me for not starting something back then.  So reading Mrs. Fuzz's blog A Police Wife gave me the kick I needed.

I know there are thousands of wives out there who wouldn't think any less of me when I say my husband picks up prostitutes and buys drugs for a living...or...yesterday I opened up the cabinet to get a bowl and there were two guns sitting on top of the plates.  Let the Sisterhood begin, I need some followers ladies....and gentleman!

P.S. I know the look of my blog is lame, but it will get a face lift very soon....stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. Hooray! I'm so glad you started a blog. I LOVE what you have so far! I don't have many friends that wouldn't be upset about finding a couple of guns on top of their dishes. Kind of normal for us, right? :) Can't wait to hear more from you. . . and welcome to the blogoshphere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, guns in the cabinet and ontop of the fridge... lol! Or having to sleep on a lumpy matress because the vest is under it ;)

    ReplyDelete